As a final tune up before the Section 6A meet, the Breckenridge/Wahpeton Storm Cross Country teams traveled to Tipsinah Mounds Golf Course near Elbow Lake on Tuesday to partake in the West Central Area Invitational Meet. The boys team placed second of the four full teams, while the girls tallied a fourth place finish despite some good times.
Aidan Ruddy and Luke Baumgartner both placed in the top 10. Aidan ran a 17:43 to place 3rd, while Luke finished 10th in 18:57. Aidan picked up his pace in the second mile and never looked back. The race was good confidence booster for him heading into Sectionals next week. In 14th place was Jaxon Hill, 19:50. Bryce Awender, Troy Berndt, and Jonathon Hill placed 18th, 19th, and 20th, respectively in 20:34, 20:38, and 20:56. Ethan Lauritsen rounded out the varsity team placing 23rd in 21:53.
The top runner for the girls’ was Kiera Wertzema placing ninth in 22:06. Not far back were Aubrey Bosen, 12th and Rachel Gowin, 13th, who ran 22:44 and 22:47. Closing the gap on the third runner was Adi Dodge who dropped her time to 23:33, good for 16th place. Jasmyn Benedict placed 18th, in 23:43, her best time of the year with a great last mile.
“After running a great HOL conference meet last week, where almost every kids ran a season best time, I was hoping the team would not be complacent or lose momentum, but our boys competed well and hit their goal of a second place finish,” reported Storm Head Coach Larry Lasch. “The girls raced well to, hitting personal best times or close to it, they ran to their potential.”
The Storm runners will participate in the Section 6A meet next Friday, October 29 at Minnewaska Area High School in Glenwood. The top two placing teams qualify for the state meet as do the top six runners not affiliated with the top two teams.
Full meet results can be found at https://www.gsetiming.com/dwnlds/WCA%20Invitational_2021.txt
Girls Varsity Team Results
1. Detroit Lakes 43, 2. West Central Area 45, 3. Long Prairie-Grey Eagle 60, 4. Breckenridge/Wahpeton 64
Girls Individual Results
Top 10 Runners
1. Caroline Kuehne (LPGE) 19:22.22, 2. Lexi Bright (WCA) 20:14.95, 3. Julia Steffl (DL) 20:40.11, 4. Isla Pender (DL) 20:44.21, 5. Terina Blasyck (WCA) 21:14.10, 6. Sadie Johnson (DL) 21:49.16,7. Katie Frank-Holzner (HLA) 21:57.22, 8. Victoria Junker (WCA) 22:02.12, 9. Kiera Wiertzema (BW) 22:05.71, 10. Kyra Beyer (WCA) 22:27.16
West Central Area
2. Lexi Bright 20:14.95, 5. Terina Blasyck 21:14.10, 8. Victoria Junker 22:02.12, 10. Kyra Beyer 22:27.16, 23. Whitney Blume 24:36.11, 24. Kennedy Porter 24:45.31, 25. Alexa Blume 25:02.14
Katie Frank-Holzner of Hillcrest. PHOTO SUBMITTED
Boys Varsity Team Results
1. West Central Area 19, 2. Breckenridge-Wahpeton 61, 3. Detroit Lakes 62, 4. Long Prairie/Grey Eagle 105
Top 10 Runners
1. Kade Runge (WCA) 16:39.11, 2. Alex Salwasser (WCA) 17:02.71, 3. Aidan Ruddy (BW) 17:43.14), 4. Shad Swanson (WCA) 17:47.15, 5. Roman Mihailovschi (WCA) 17:55.22, 6. Cole Weber (DL) 18:18.44, 7. Eli Bergman (WCA) 18:32.62, 8. Peyton Hanson (WCA) 18:39.19, 9. Neko Moran (WCA) 18:44.20, 10. Luke Baumgardner (BW) 18:56.63
13. Noah Brumfield 19:49.23, 22. Rye Frobish 21:44.68